Saturday we woke up and it was still raining. We planned to go on hike that day, but we were concerned the weather wasn't going to be ideal. Anna had sent a note that it was on rain or shine, so we weren't going to wimp out if she was still in. We met her and other friends at 11:30 a.m. and hopped in a taxi for a ride into the interior of the island to Grand Etang Forest Reserve.
By the time we were on our way it had quit raining. And it turned out to be perfect weather for the rest of the day. It was overcast so we weren't too hot but it never rained on us. From the top of the mountain we could see clearly for miles, which apparently isn't always the case. And as we hiked upward the breeze became very cool - the coolest weather we've felt on the island. Almost like a fall day back home.
We hiked to the top of Mt. Qua Qua which is at about 2,370 feet above sea level. From the top I realized I live on a really small island. This seems obvious but it doesn't feel that small when you are down at sea level. It takes awhile to get places while driving around in a car and there are lots of little separate towns that feel spread out.
But from the top of the mountain we could see the East and the West coasts and the ocean all around us. It seemed only a few miles across even though the island is actually 12 miles wide. It made me think - hmmm, Grenada is a remote and tiny island in the middle of a gigantic, powerful ocean. That's kind of freaky.
Anyway, it was a really great day with a good group of people. We made about a 500 foot climb from the beginning of the trail to the top, so it wasn't too strenuous although it was slippery in some parts because of mud (lots of mud - see pic below). It only took about three hours round trip.
And did I mention we saw a monkey?? At the park headquarters a monkey came out of the forest and took a few bananas from us. I've never seen a banana eaten so fast. This little guy was quick. He wouldn't get too close to anyone but he would grab a banana out of your hand. My hand actually. C.J. told me the monkey was going to rip my arm off. Well, I assure you, that did not happen. My arm is still fully in tact.
It was the first day C.J had been off campus in probably six weeks. He enjoyed the taxi ride into the rain forest and just seeing all the local people out and about. And of course he loves hiking. I was glad he got to enjoy himself for once.
The only unfortunate thing is that we missed one of the best games in recent college football history - TX v OU. I have to admit I had doubted that Texas could pull it off. I'm not missing the TX v Missou game this weekend that's for sure. There are lots of Texas fans here so I think we'll be at a bar tomorrow night somewhere for the game.
But we still did not regret going on the hike because it was such a great day and one of the only chances C.J. will have to get out and explore the island.
Hiking Mt. Qua Qua

Ladies hike - me, Jovanna, Lindsay, Anna, Teresa
View of the rain forest, coast line and ocean beyond
This is what happens to your shoes when you hike in a rain forest
Mona monkey



No comments:
Post a Comment