I got a notice in my campus mail box today informing me that I have a package awaiting me at the main post office in St. George's. I think the notice is a good example of how the English language can be used so differently around the world. Here is what it says:
******
GRENADA POSTAL CORPORATION
ADVICE OF POSTAL PACKET
Take notice that an ordinary Postal Packet to your address has been received and is detained at Burnspoint. Please come or send someone authorised to open for examination as it may contain dutiable matter. Walk with proper Identification.
Items undelivered after 2 months will be returned to Sender.
******
All spelling, bold type and capital letters are exactly as they appear on the notice.
Now I admit this could be ethnocentric, but is that proper English?? I guess working for so long in advertising and PR has ruined me. Coming from an industry where every word is scrutinized for correct grammar and style, it is difficult to see things like this and not be baffled.
What's up with the random caps and bolding? And "walk with proper identification" - what does that mean? Also, "advice of postal package." Huh? Dutiable is a word though, I looked it up. So I have to give them that.
Grenadians do compose sentences differently and use phrases unique to the culture here. So this could be less of an indictment on their poor writing skills and more of an example of my snobishness. But I think my old coworkers back in Austin will stand by me on this one. We need some proof reading on this island!
1 comment:
Amen! They should route that document first :)
Post a Comment