Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Coconut water

Yesterday the maintenance man came over to weed eat our yard, and while he was here he went around with his cutlass and lobbed off some of the fruit growing around our apartment building.

I came home yesterday afternoon to find this pile of water nuts (what Grenadians call young coconut) and bananas under the stairs by the laundry room.

Jackpot


I had been thinking I should harvest one of these water nuts myself and try this cocktail mixture I read about, so when I saw the work was practically done for me I seized the moment.

I recruited C.J. to cut one of these open and the neighbors gathered around to assist and see what would come out of one of these unassuming green globes. With the help of a screw driver we were able to drill down to the hollow cavity and pour out about twelve ounces of water from two of these.

This fresh coconut water is a popular drink here and in other tropical areas, although it wasn't a big hit with the neighbors. It tasted like, well, coconut water but with a few flecks of dirt in it.

Grenadians make this look so easy. C.J. is just hoping he doesn't cut his thumb off.


After dinner and getting the baby to bed I proceeded to mix up a cocktail that consisted of coconut water, evaporated sweetened milk, rum, ice and nutmeg. The evaporated milk made this tasty but man was it strong.

Karen came up to share in the festivities, and we proceeded to discuss the meaning of karma and whether or not there is any such thing as altruism.

Near the bottom of our glasses her husband came over and pointed out that we were drinking a rum that is 75% alcohol. Oops. I thought that seemed like a potent drink.

Anyway, another fun day in the Caribbean.

No comments: