But then I see an old friend that connects me to my past, and I'm relieved to find out I am still the same girl from little 'ole Hewitt, Texas.
One of my oldest friends came to visit last week. I've known Erin since second grade when she was the star of Mrs. White's PE class. I recall Mrs. White asking Erin to demonstrate something on the balance beam and thinking I wasn't planning to be friends with this teacher's pet.
That sentiment didn't last long since we became friends in junior high, better friends in high school and then roomed together our first two year's of college. She was a maid of honor in my wedding, and we're still close after over 20 years (ouch, that makes me sound old).
So I was honored when she used some of her spring break from dental school to make the long trip down here. Now I have one more friend that can visualize where I am as I write this blog, something I find comforting.
Of course, while she was here we spent two days lounging at the beach, but we also had an eventful day in St. George's and spent a day hiking.
We tried a few new things in town - we ate corn cooked over a small grill from a street vendor, we drank fresh sugar cane juice and we purchased red snapper from the fish market and cooked it for dinner (I'm embarrassed to admit it, but that is my first time to buy fish at the market.)
Erin observed that all the street vendors here sell fresh fruit and vegetables which is a welcome change from the processed hot dogs and nacho cheese of America.
We bought some tangerines in the market, and I was shocked when Erin said she had never had a fresh tangerine and I realized, me either. I've only eaten them from a can. Once again, you can't beat the fresh local fruit here.
And to satisfy my own vanity, I must point out that this is the only time in our entire friendship that I have ever been more tan than Erin. At least I have something to show for myself and this island life.
Erin and I enjoying a day at the beach
2 comments:
Aw that is so fun!! I don't know why but the first thing I thought of when I saw Erin was the time I was at her house when we were little and we had been somewhere and gotten our faces painted and I forgot and laid down on her bed which was covered by a homemade heirloom quilt that I probably ruined...I have no idea why i felt the need t just share that with you - but super fun to have a friend from home.
Love it. I see Erin is still overweight too.
Post a Comment