Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vagabond life

C.J. said to me the other day, "I'm tired of living like criminals."

With genuine curiosity I replied, "What do you mean?" as I sat on a blow up mattress in a stranger's apartment in Brooklyn.

He said, "We could pack up all our things and be gone in 30 minute and no one would ever know we had been here. We haven't even unpacked our suitcases."

I looked around and realized he was right. We are living like gypsies. We barely own anything, our poor baby has no toys, suitcases are crowding the floor, there's no food in the fridge and we have a trashcan full of take-out containers.

We have five addresses on record at the moment:
  1. Merrie Lynn Avenue is on our driver's licenses
  2. Crockett Street is the address we use for our credit card and bank since moving to Grenada
  3. Pack Saddle Pass is where our mail is being delivered
  4. 41st Street is our physical address
  5. Berkshire Place will be our new home in Hackensack

What kind of crazy people are we? That is ridiculous. We are living like the underbelly of society, slumming around like runaways.

We vow to get our lives in order starting tomorrow when we move to Hackensack. The mail will be forwarded, credit card companies will be called, driver's licenses will be updated, housewares will be purchased and we will again be upstanding citizens.

It has been a great vacation in Brooklyn, but I can't post pictures, because I don't know where the USB cable is for my camera. I am looking forward to being settled and official.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I just completed a background check form where I had to list all my residences for the past 28 years. Completing the form created a similar feeling for me, I think.

Dawn Greer Hall said...

Hi Julie,
I'm so excited to get to read your blog. It is truly hilarious! You are having such an amazaing adventure!

Casey said...

I know exactly how you feel and I am sorry. We were using our Costco diaper box as a table for abut 2 weeks...it was pretty funny eating with our noses all touching! Ha! Hang in there!