Saturday, October 23, 2010

The big apple

I'm not talking about The City, I am talking about the round, juicy Jonagolds that we picked ourselves a few weekends ago at Riamede Farm in Western New Jersey.

I've never been apple picking before, since I've never lived anywhere apples were grown. Apples are a big deal around here. Going apple picking on a weekend is an essential fall activity, same as selecting a pumpkin for Halloween.

I'm not exagerating when I say it was a thrilling experience, picking an apple off a tree and taking a bite on a beautiful, cool and sunny fall day. We loved it. We being Liam and I and Karen and her family. C.J. had to study before the final week of his pediatrics rotation.

For the first time I've thought about why pumpkins are popular at Halloween and pumpkin pie and apple pie are favorites at Thanksgiving. Because they are part of the fall harvest in the Northeast. Is this how the pilgrams did it? I'm feeling so American.

Liam's big apple



Hay rides to the orchard (o.k., pilgrams probably didn't have tractors)

Team Ford picking the perfect apple

Rows and rows of apple trees

So juicy and delicious

How's your apple? Pretty good, how's yours?

Apple pickers
Can't get fresher than this

Fall corn

Pumpkins still on the vine at a real pumpkin patch

Little boy meets big pumpkin

Mom, don't worry about the apple juice all over my shirt. Help me pick this up.
 

Nevermind, I found one my size. What do you mean this isn't a good one?

2 comments:

Karen Ford said...

Love it :) What a fun day that was!

Hope said...

That looks so fun, and the pumpkins are actually in a real patch, not bought from another farm and resold. It must be wonderful to actually be a part of the seasons, though I imagine it is going to get cold in the near future.