The birth story in a nutshell: I was induced at 7 a.m. I labored all day and by 7 p.m. was dilated to two centimeters. The baby's heart rate started dipping with each contraction.
Do you see where this story is going? Within the hour we had a baby delivered by cesarean section.
Oh well, I tried. I was disappointed of course, but am glad it is over and grateful a healthy baby is finally here.
Graham, minutes after his arrival
Sweet baby face
Proud Daddy
Although I didn't want him to be born so close to Christmas, I really feel the timing worked out perfectly. We enjoyed a wonderful Christmas weekend with family and then had something to look forward to the next day.
The hospital was quiet and we got lots of great attention from staff (the hospital had been packed the week before with moms trying to schedule their births before Christmas). Liam was well taken care of and C.J. had the week off because the doctor he was rotating with was on vacation.
Graham was welcomed into this world by a large and loving group of family members. We can't thank them enough for all the babysitting, cooking and cleaning they did for us while they were here.
Graham's welcoming committee
Coming home from the hospital
Big brother holding little brother for the first time
Getting into the routine at home
Mr. Perfect Baby
Everyone says you love your second just as much as you love your first, which is so hard to believe when you just have one. But from the moment I saw him I adored Graham.
I forgot how amazing newborns are. Their little coos and grunts and snorts, their flailing arms and funny expressions. Their tiny hands and feet and sweet sighs. It's heart melting.
So far, he is an easy baby. He hardly cries, he sleeps most of the time, and he is a great eater. When he is awake, he is content and happy and doesn't need a lot of soothing.
This is the opposite of Liam as a newborn - we were constantly walking, rocking and bouncing him to keep him from crying. We lucked out with this baby, which makes it so much easier on me as I adjust to caring for two kids.
And it is an adjustment. But that's a post for another day. Or never, depending on if I can find the time and clarity to write it. For now I better stick with the announcement that we are a healthy and happy family of four.
3 comments:
yay!!! Graham is perfect!! Congrats to you guys! You make adorable kids!
You know, I don't remember Liam being so noisy as a newborn...maybe those walls at the Flats were thicker than I thought. ;)
Let's skype soon. I want to meet Graham. Congrats to you, C.J.and Liam.
Post a Comment