Monday, February 27, 2012

It's not that bad

Almost a year ago I went on a little rant about life in New Jersey. I'm not going to take back anything I said, I gave the proper disclaimer that these were observations based on living here a very short time. 

And I still feel a lot of it holds true. It IS crowded here (New Jersey is the most densely populated state in America), it IS expensive and it can be tough getting by. 

So that is why I find it humorous and ironic that last weekend C.J. and I were, without sarcasm, saying to ourselves: "It's not that bad."

We will find out in two weeks where C.J. is placed for residency. We're mentally preparing ourselves for the possibility that we will stay here another three years. And it's really not such a terrible thought. 

This all came about because we went on two road trips. On Saturday we drove to the mountains and on Sunday we drove to the beach. In the time it takes a toddler to have a solid nap we can be at either place. And both are lovely.

Bear Mountain State Park is just across the New York State line, only 45 minutes from our house. In the fall of 2010 we went hiking in the park. I just looked back at the pictures from that hike and have to share.

A much smaller Liam loved to ride along with Daddy

This hike is no joke - we were on the AT!

 Beautiful views and fall colors

 Getting close to the top

Fast forward to last weekend. We have no business hiking with a newborn, but the park has a carousel, a small zoo, an ice skating rink, paved walking paths and beautiful views of the Hudson River. Perfect for a casual family outing. 

The carousel is a big hit with this little guy

And so are the animals...do you see the zoo keeper is feeding the bear with her hand??

 View of Bear Mountain Bridge spanning the Hudson River

Awkward family photo?

Looking South at the Hudson River

Enjoying the fresh air

Probably not enjoying it so much, but what a trooper, no complaints!


On Sunday we drove an hour and a half to Ocean Grove, New Jersey, a quaint beach town known for it's Victorian architecture. The Atlantic Coast forms the Eastern border of New Jersey for over a hundred miles and from what I've seen so far, it is beautiful.

The warm sun helped keep the chill off, and we spent a few hours walking along the beach and the boardwalk.


Jersey shore - not just for guidos


Checking out the water

Baby's first beach outing - not that impressed

But this kid was in heaven

Nana and Graham on the pier, Victorian architecture in the background


So there you have it - mountains one day, beach the next. And of course, there's The City too. There really is a lot to do here. We don't always take advantage of it with med school, the kids, the finances, etc. But when we get out, there are some fun options.

I must add that these outings have been possible because this winter has been, seriously, not that bad. It's snowed only twice and it's melted within a day or two both times. Not even close to the horror of last year. Although I am still deeply scarred from that experience, I can say that if winters are more like this one I really can handle it for another three years.

No comments: