Monday, March 2, 2009

Baby shower Grenada style

If anyone is worried about me having support on the island when I have a baby, fear not!

I have some wonderful friends here who have gone out of their way to make me feel special and loved during this time. Saturday some of these friends threw a baby shower for me. It was a fantastic party - I couldn't believe all the effort they put into it. I was so honored.

Marguerite provided the house and my favorite foods including queso, deviled eggs and chicken salad. Lindsay and Jovanna brought the games, and everyone pitched in and gave me really special and much needed baby things. Not to mention Jenn made a cake that would be the envy of any professional pastry chef.

It was the funnest shower I've ever been to, and I'm not just saying that because it was all about me. Well, o.k., it didn't hurt that it was all about me. I was definitely glowing when I got home Saturday afternoon. I feel incredibly fortunate for the community I have here. I can't thank everyone enough.


Shower guests

Lots of onesies for baby Liam (yes, that's the chosen baby name for anyone who didn't know)

Party favors

Rachel, Marguerite, Sandra, me and Megan eating delicious party food


An incredible cake - marble with raspberry filling, chocolate icing and fondant

Jenn - the pastry chef

Brigit, Megan, Faith, me and Adrea - we won the nursery rhyme game so I'm obviously ready to be a mom


Me, Marguerite, Rachel and Sandra

Lindsay guessing at the diaper game - looks gross but it is chocolate!


Brigit guessing - Milky Way or Three Musketeers?

Karen and baby Paul thinking over their answers

A decoration for the nursery


"Thank you!"

Opening lots of wonderful gifts


Jovanna, me, Rachel, Marguerite, baby Paul and Lindsay

4 comments:

Hope said...

I'm so glad you had a shower and that all is well. I also appreciate that you asked us not to worry because I would be one to fall into that category.

Ali said...

Hi!
We came across your blog by googling "having a baby in Grenada". First off, congratulations for the new baby on the way! My husband will start his first year at St. George's this August...but we have a problem...our first baby is due Aug 8. We are in agony over how to deal with this situation i.e. do we have the baby there, or do we wait to have it here in Nevada and then deal with travel with a newborn/being separated during the time it takes before the baby and I can go to Grenada. Any advice? Availability of vaccines? Are you having your baby in Grenada?

Ali said...

Sorry, one more question...if you are having a baby there, how much does it cost, do you and your husband have insurance through SGU that will cover it? I have so many questions...I appreciate your time! Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks! If it's easier to correspond by email, our address is danalihansen@gmail.com

123snacks said...

Hi, there. How funny, I came across your blog exactly the same way as Dan & Ali did, and have similar questions. Very curious about the ins and outs, costs, etc. of having one's baby in Grenada. At the risk of bothering you, if you have a few minutes I would love to hear whatever advice you gave Dan & Ali. Feel free to contact me at condensethenonsense@gmail.com

Liam looks gorgeous, so Grenada can't be too bad for babies, can it? :)

Thank you so much for your time, and have a lovely day.

Alicia