The Caribbean must be a to-do list lover's worst nightmare.
I, like many neurotic multitasking women I know, keep a running to-do list and take great pleasure in crossing things off as I get them done. But here in Grenada, I find it very difficult to get through my list. Things linger and linger. It is maddening. Here's my list for today and all the reasons why nothing was crossed off.
1) Call the University Club to see if the SOs can use the pool and if we can plan our closing social there
I called three days ago. The appropriate person was not in. Left a message. No one called me back. Called this morning and got directed to a voice mail. Called again and finally got the right person who said the pool was still under construction so it is not ready yet, call back later, like maybe next week.
No she does not know when the pool will be done. Yes, this pool has in fact been under construction since at least last August when I got here. If I want to plan an event I have to speak with a guy name Martin but he's not in, call back tomorrow.
2) Make an appointment at the private hospital to register for delivery and meet with the midwife
I called three days ago and left a message. The midwife did not call me back. I called today. She does not yet know her schedule for March. She's off the next two days. Call back Monday, and she'll know her schedule.
3) Go to the bank and cash a check
I suspected this one wasn't going to get crossed off because banking hours are limited. I stopped by this afternoon just to see if the bank was open. Nope. Effective February 23, they are open 8 to 10:50 a.m. and noon to 2:30 p.m. Are you kidding me? No wonder there is always a line out the door.
4) Get some routine lab work done that my doctor ordered
I can do this at the hospital while I'm there meeting the midwife but it is uncertain when that is happening, so I stopped by the campus clinic to see if I can have it done there. They only do lab work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8 to 9 a.m. Right.
5) Pick up a package from the bookstore (just added)
While on campus to visit the clinic and check out bank hours I stopped by the mail room. I had a note in my mailbox saying there is a package waiting for me at the downtown post office. It's that "walk with papers" message again.
I arranged for a courier to pick up the package. It will be at the bookstore at 4:15 tomorrow. The only thing is I have to get there before 5 p.m to pick it up.
So instead of shrinking the list grew, and most items are carrying over to next week. Is it just me, or is it hard to get things done around here?
3 comments:
Hello
It has a nice blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from my country, Portugal
LOL. i felt your pain the entire way through that list! all to familiar.
Oh, this would drive me mad! At least you have great stories.
Post a Comment