Sunday, February 22, 2009
Big up to Grenadians today
*****************
From Urban Dictionary.com
Big up
1. To give respect or to acknowledge someone
2. An expression of support or encouragement
origins: Jamaica 1980s; "Up" is an English term used to mean elevation. Therefore the term "big up" literally means to elevate highly or to a superlative degree.
*****************
This one goes out to several Grenadians who helped me today. The locals proved themselves to be a kind and generous people when I was needing some assistance.
Of course, it's hard to ignore a desperate, stranded pregnant woman. But still, I felt the love.
It all started this morning when I was on my way to yoga. I noticed my back left tire was low. A little lower than it should be, but maybe nothing serious. Mental note: make C.J. air that up when he is available.
I drove on to yoga and afterward stopped by the grocery store. When I got out at the grocery store I noticed said tire was basically flat. Hmmm, not good. C.J. is teaching a class on campus all day so even if I can get a hold of him, it doesn't make sense for me to drive to campus with a flat tire to get his help.
So, I'm a big girl. I've put air in my tires before. I decided I'd just stop by Texaco, which is much closer than campus, and take care of it myself. I can put some air in the tire, drive it home and then get C.J. to check it out later.
Well I get to Texaco and try to unscrew the cap from the air valve. Yeah right. Not happening. I cannot get the cap off.
So, I bury my pride and decide I'm going to ask for help. I really cannot drive off with a flat tire. In Grenada, attendants pump gas for you (one of my top things I love about living here) so I head over to a male attendant and ask if he can try it.
He is a little hesitant at first but then walks over to check it out. Note here, he walked so slow that I even had to slow down to move at his pace. And I am walking very slowly these days.
Anyway, he tries it and can't get it. He asks if I have any pliers. Of course I don't, and I know this, but we check in the trunk anyway just in case. Now I've caused a little scene and a taxi driver who has just pulled up comes over to try it.
Then a kid on a bike rides up to fill his tires with air and stops to watch. He too asks if I have any pliers. I check inside the store, but no, they don't sell any. Another cab driver tries. Then a man in a yellow shirt appears out of nowhere and tries it.
No luck, no one can get the cap off. The man in the yellow shirt asks if I have a spare. And then he asks again and then he asks again, until I can finally understand what he is saying. He points out that I have a big, fat nail in my tire which is why it is low, and he says he will just put the spare on for me.
Well shoot, I'm not gonna turn that offer down. So out comes my spare and jack, thank goodness I have those things. Of course the jack doesn't have a handle so he actually cranks the car up by hand.
Meanwhile I sit down on the curb. The cashier from inside comes out with a piece of cardboard and hands it to me saying it is too hot to sit on the curb. Bless her heart, how did she know that?
So the guy in the yellow shirt got my spare tire on and then practically walked off before I could even thank him. I guess helping a pregnant woman in distress is just another day in the life.
So big up to all those at Texaco today who helped me get back on the road. Those Grenadians really are nice people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am surprised the guy with the ripped half shirt and gelly shoes who talks to everyone passing by didn't come by to help. I could picture the scene and it made me smile.
for the most part, i've always found Grenadians to be super helpful people. especially if you are asking for directions.
i once drove around the entire island with a couple of people, and once we realized that the map we had was pretty useless, we started asking for directions at every town to make sure we were heading the right way.
we didn't get lost once.
Yeah, sort of makes up for not being able to cross off those to-dos. I'm glad you were able to be helped. I sure know what that's like when your super preggers :).
Anna's comment made me laugh cause I know exactly who she's talking about! ha! Those people who hang around the Texaco sure are handy :)
Post a Comment