...while C.J. is doing all that studying I am living it up, island style. It is true that it can be lonely when you never get to see your husband. However, lest you feel sorry for me, let me describe my life for you. Let's just take last Saturday for example.
I got up at 6:30 a.m. with my darling baby who is now sleeping 11 or 12 hours a night. Since I had gone to bed at 10 p.m. I was rested and happy to see his sweet, smiling face. After a feeding and some holding and cooing he entertained himself on his play mat practicing his rollover moves and trying to eat his plastic toy keys.
I had my coffee, got myself ready and said goodbye to C.J. who was up and off to catch the bus to school by 8:30 a.m. At 9:30 a.m. Jovanna and Marguerite came over to sit with Liam so that I could attend a yoga class.
Leaving my baby in their capable hands (let me pause here and acknowledge that it is a big deal for people without kids to babysit on a Saturday morning so I really can't thank them enough) I was off to La Luna Resort to practice yoga at the most amazing outdoor pavilion situated right on the beach.
I made it to La Luna in time to nab a spot right in front so I could stare straight out at the crystal-blue water and feel the soft warm ocean breezes coming off the Caribbean Sea. During class I meditated on having a healthy mind and body so I can be a good mommy to Liam while I watched a few sail boats lazily drift by and listened to the sound of birds chirping in the trees.
At one point I noticed a tiny hummingbird flitting around some flower blossoms on a bush not three feet from me. It was the most beautiful and peaceful image, I hope I never forget it.
After class I had a chance to catch up with my friend Rachel who was also in attendance, thanked Lindsay (instructor, friend and fellow SO) for another awesome hour of yoga and walked down the most gorgeous white sand beach to my car.
Back at home Jo and Marg hung out with me and talked for a couple of hours while Liam took an afternoon nap. After they left, Liam woke up and we had more play time until I decided I was ready to get out of the house again.
So I called up my trusty walking buddy Brigit and she was game for an afternoon stroll. (here I must thank Brigit also for babysitting the previous Saturday while I went to yoga). We went on our typical route around our neighborhood where there are several vistas of the ocean. Liam rode along in his stroller - he likes to put his feet up on the front tray and kick back while I push him around.
After our walk I was home in time to cook dinner, give Liam a bath, feed him and get him to bed by his 7:30 bedtime. Then I took a shower, made some popcorn, plugged the baby monitor in and headed downstairs in my pajamas to my neighbor Karen's apartment for movie night.
Since all our med student husbands are studying furiously, the ladies in our building got together to watch The Duchess with Keira Knightley. After the movie we had a lively discussion about how much women's' lives have improved since the 18th century. He may spend a lot of time at school but C.J. never once pressured me for a male heir, so I have that to be thankful for.
I came back upstairs around 11 p.m. when C.J. finally made it home from the library. I think it is safe to say I had a better day then he did.
Not all my days are filled with so many activities. Some days go by slowly and involve a lot of mundane household chores. But thankfully I have an incredible network of friends to keep me busy and sane. And Liam is at a perfect age right now where he is such a sweet baby and easy to take care of. So med school is not all bad. For me, anyway.
3 comments:
That.yoga.class.sounds.wonderful.
:)
I would love that! You do have a pretty great life for living in Grenada! And, I am jealous that your baby is sleeping 10-12 hours at night. I am ready for the Clarkman to start clocking in those hours.
Love reading your posts!
Oh was this a blog? I got lost in a beach read novel. Very nice my friend, very nice. You are making me proud.
Can I come back. This working thing sucks!
Post a Comment