Friday, May 4, 2012

Spring fever

I am like an old man at the local cafe having coffee in the morning - I love to talk about the weather here. It's a constant reminder that I am not on home turf.

Spring, for example, has a whole different meaning in the Northeast than it does in Texas. In Texas, spring means warm to tolerably hot. It means flip flops and swimming for the first time and sunscreen.

In the Northeast spring means still cold, but bearable. It means the time of year when everything flowers beautifully. It fills your heart with hope, seeing all the gorgeous blooms. But don't even think about putting your winter clothes away. It's a trick.

I know this from last spring, but it still surprises me. I'm just not used to wearing a coat eight months out of the year. It's May, and we still use the heater at night.

I'm not complaining. It feels o.k. I'll be sweltering in the Southern sun in no time and will probably be blogging about how much I miss those things called seasons.

Beautiful blooms
I love this tree in our neighbor's backyard

Do you get the feeling of warm sunshine when you see this picture?

Nope, still need the coat!

No comments: