Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Texas Fight

This past weekend we went to the UT v. Ole Miss football game in Oxford, MS. What a thrill!

We haven't watched a football game in years, mainly because we don't really care about football and don't have time to keep up with it. But something came over us, and we really wanted to go to this game. Probably because it was an opportunity to see the Horns play live; it was a rare event for these two teams to get together; and we wanted to do a little exploration of our new state. 

I surprised myself with how much fun I had. I guess I do like football after all. And I guess I have a lot of pride for my school and my state. And it just felt so American. It was a spectacle of tradition and sportsmanship and friends and food and drinks and chaos and lights and cheers and bursts of action.

The tailgating in The Grove lived up to it's reputation, I have never seen so many pop-up tents in one place. It was a sea of red and blue along with heels, pearls, solo cups, chafing dishes and chandeliers. It really was a party like no other, I see why they've earned the distinction of best tailgating in college football. As their saying goes, they lost the game but they did not lose the party.

It didn't seem to bother anyone that Ole Miss didn't have a chance, everyone was there to have fun, including 15,000 Texans. It's been a long time since I've been surrounded by so much orange. It oddly felt like being at home. 

To make it even better, we had some dear friends come in town for the game, and we spent some quality time with them over the weekend. It is always fantastic to see familiar faces. It doesn't matter how many years go by, old friends are gold.

Now that C.J. is attending residency at Ole Miss, we've got a new team to cheer for and a new road trip to add to the fall calendar. As long as the game is not against UT, we'll be the ones wearing the red and blue and yelling, "Hotty Toddy!"

 
 Here's some of that quality photography I'm known for - Hook 'em Horns!


BIG UP to dear friends Rick and Jared who made the trek from ATX

3 comments:

Lindsey Hoskinson said...

Fun, fun, fun!!! So glad you guys were able to go- must.get.together.soon. I will give you a shout sometime this week. Hook 'Em!

Maria said...

Hi Julie!!! It looks like Mississippi is treating you well. So happy things are going well for you guys. Your house is beautiful and has such a charm to it. Congrats!!!

Amanda said...

As I was reading this I was about to write GO UTES! because I thought UT meant the U of U. Clearly I haven't lived in Texas long enough. haha