We have now lived in Grenada for seven days. In a way, it seems like a lifetime. I feel far removed from my former life. We are getting into the swing of things here. It actually hasn't been too hard adjusting. Probably because there are so many people here in the same situation.
C.J.'s school work is really intense. Here is what his anatomy professor told him on the first day:
"Read pp 1-100 in your gray's anatomy textbook and pp 9-35 and 254-260 in your embryology book for tomorrow. I would suggest skipping exercise at the gym because you can never get that hour back."
I think he was kidding about the exercise. Sort of. And that class is only one of four. So, I haven't seen him much since Monday. He has studied or been in class from 8 a.m. to midnight every day so far. I think it is only going to get worse because some of his labs haven't started yet.
I cannot understand how anyone can handle the volume of course work in med school. But there are 350 students in his class alone doing just that. Talk about dedication. And to go to another country and live without your usual conveniences and comforts, you've got to want it.
Meanwhile, here I am. Miss used-to-work-50-hours-a-week. Ha! No more! I have absolutely nothing required of me here. I can do anything I want to all day. We have a maid come twice a week so I don't even have to clean! I know that sounds like a sweet gig, but I am really struggling with the question, why am I here?
I've had this conversation with other SOs (significant others as we call ourselves). They all agree it is to support our spouses. Well, o.k., but I can't memorize body parts for him. What good am I really? Is going to the grocery store and doing a few loads of laundry really worth much? Shouldn't I feel a little guilty for living this life of leisure while he is pursuing a higher calling? I can't help but think about this every day even though the decision is made and done. Ultimately, the only rational answer I have (which is not really rational at all) is that I love C.J. and we took some vows and I would rather be where he is than not. Even if I was being really productive somewhere else I would be miserable without him. So there.
Anyway, in the midst of this moral dilemma, here is what I've been doing with myself. Today I went to breakfast with a group of SOs and then I went grocery shopping with my neighbor/fellow SO Brigit. Yesterday I woke up at 10:30 and read my book most of the day (Atlas Shrugged - 8pt font, 1,000 pages, perfect time killer). Then I went to see Sex in the City with some SOs at the local theatre (how great was the scene where she beats Big with her bouquet? So intense!).
The day before that I went to the beach with Brigit and her fiance Dave and then did some grocery shopping. That evening I went to a local bar where they have crab races. You pick a hermit crab and bet it will beat all the other crabs out of the circle drawn in the sand. It's like the Grenadian chicken-shit Sunday. By the way, my crab won one of the races and I got 15EC!
Tomorrow is pool day. This is a weekly gig, every Thursday. Friday there is a party for a couple that just got married. Saturday a wine tasting party, Sunday we are going hiking. Note here, any time I refer to "we" I mean SOs. Not C.J. He is going to be in the library. Don't even bother asking what he is up to. Studying. That is it.
Now on to the topic of my appearance. My friend Heather made a funny joke that this would be the beginning of my "Operation Trophy Wife." Well, Heather, it is actually more like "Operation Hobo Wife." It is really hot and humid here and as I already mentioned, I don't have anywhere to go. This combination pretty much guarantees the death of my vanity. Makeup is pointless because I am sweating all the time. And it seems clownish in this environment. My hair, which is a frizzy mess, is always in a wad on top of my head. And if I used to wash my hair infrequently at home, well, I'm setting new records here.
Tank top, shorts and flip flops is the uniform. The lighting in the bathroom is horrible so I rarely look at my face in the mirror. There is no full length mirror so I have no clue if my ensemble (lack there of) is coordinating. I was no diva at home, but I am sinking to levels I didn't know I was capable of here. As long as there isn't sand all over me, I'm happy. The only redeeming thing is that other SOs (and students) aren't dressing to impress either. Everyone is really casual. That's island living, mon!
1 comment:
Post a Comment