Well I've learned my first lesson on blogging. One has to write consistently for it to work. It's been so long I forgot my login, password and URL. Had to call in a favor over at Google to get myself back into my own blog. Not a good start. But that's o.k. I'm going to jump back in here cause we have a lot to catch up on.
I'll have to document at a later time the experience of quitting my job, packing up everything I own, selling my house and leaving Austin. Those two months were intense. The whole time I felt comfortable with our decision and stayed focused on the long to-do list to get us out of the country. But in the end, on the very last day, I was SAD. When the house was empty and cleaned up and the hard wood floors were uncovered and gleaming in every room, I cried. I admit. It was hard to leave.
The trip here was long. We had no problem getting on the Southwest flight from Austin, even though our tickets were standby. That was a relief since we were taking a chance not buying seats. In Ft. Lauderdale we had dinner with a friend Reed and his girlfriend Kristy. We ate sushi and downed some Sake bombs and it made the six hour layover easy.
At 10:15 p.m. our Caribbean Airlines flight left right on time for Trinidad and Tobago. So far so good. It was when we got to Trinidad that things got a little weird. In customs at 2 a.m. C.J. had to change out of his camo shorts into jeans. Some rule about wardrobes. While C.J. changed in the bathroom I chatted with the woman at the counter. She spoke in a thick Caribbean accent and moved slowly. When I asked her why he couldn't wear camouflage she said "because you cannot wear camouflage here." Um, O.K.
Her delivery was dry and disinterested. She listened to a radio that was turned up at what seemed an inappropriate volume for the time and place. The radio blared some Reggae/Caribbean sound. But she didn't seem to mind talking to me. I think she asked what I would do in Grenada and she said we would like the island. In the end she threw in "have a safe trip" or something like that.
This encounter was a representative of my experience with other locals since I've been here. Dry, aloof, loud music, nice when you don't expect it.
Anyway, we made it out of customs and drug our luggage to the check in counter which was of course closed. We joined about 30 other people, mostly laying in chairs or on their luggage along the back wall of the airport. We got in a little nap. About 4:30 a.m. the counters started opening.
When we got to the check out counter we learned our flight that was supposed to leave at 6 a.m. was delayed until 11 a.m. There was a lot of confusion and chaos over the next few hours which resulted in waiting around in various places and changing gates a few times but eventually the plane did leave. In between the chaos we slept in the chairs by the gate. When we took off in our prop plane it was raining. I was staring at the flight attendant's face, looking for signs of fear. She looked like she could have been picnicking on a Sunday afternoon so I tried to act calm even though I was thinking we should NOT be taking off in the rain. But we made it and so did all our luggage which is more than I can say for a lot of people on our flight.
So, Tuesday about noon we caught a cab and got to campus. Besides getting all our luggage, we were grateful that our room was ready for us. Again, not the case for everybody.
When we got to our room I almost had a little melt down because of course, as we all know, it is a dorm room. And I am 30. And I used to live in Austin, TX in a really cute house. And this little dorm room is rather shabby. Without the sheik. The furniture is worn and the lighting is bad and of course, it is small. Very small. And there is no balcony. Come to find out not all the rooms have a balcony.
But there was no time to mourn. We dropped our luggage and went out into the world to figure out what to do next. On the list of things to do - get a transformer so we can plug our computer in, register, pick up our boxes from Amerijet, get cell phones, go to the grocery store.
So, we went to the bus stop which is about 200 yards from our room. And we got on the bus which took us off the campus and to the grocery store which is also right next to the hardware store where we can find the transformer. Well the hardware store was closed for the Carnival holiday so we cruised the grocery store which is called IGA just like at home in Hewitt, TX. So it is a small world after all.
And the store was clean and well stocked. I can get about anything I could get at home. However, the produce is EXPENSIVE. Like $3 for one apple. The IGA is actually in a little mall with shops and a food court. Almost everything was closed (including the hardware store) so we went down and had lunch in the one place open in the food court. And our lunch was actually delicious. Falafel wrap and a chicken wrap. After buying some snacks (cheese and crackers and hummus and orange juice and granola bars) we got back on the bus. All bus drivers drive fast and listen to loud Caribbean music from what I've observed. I bet they listen to their music loud because they don't want to hear some of the dumb conversations 22-year-old med students have. And I can't blame them.
Anyway, after that little excursion we got back to our room and took a big nap. After some sleep I felt a little better about our new home and started to be more grateful that again our room was ready for us, it has a view of the school and the mountains and the bay even though there is no balcony, and we had all our luggage. We had dinner that first night with Greg and Anna the couple we met in Austin. They were just as nice as the first time we met them. People were in and out of their room while we were eating because they hold the keys for arriving students, so we met several people who seemed nice.
Back to our rooms for a really good night of sleep. I slept like a rock. So, you don't need a big place to sleep and that is good. See, I can get used to this.
Today was full. We started off wondering around campus which of course is not as nice as the pictures. Go figure. The lawns are a bit shabby and none of the buildings are labeled so we had no idea where we were going. It's hot. Not quite Texas hot but we're sweating walking around. We quickly realize things aren't all that well organized. There are some orientation packets in a hall by the bus stop but we only know that cause we stopped to ask another student. We signed up for some tours which we are going on tomorrow. And we got a map. Which helped. From there we lucked out and were the first ones at the b-mobile tent to get a phone which had just been set up by the bus stop. Then we cruised to the library where there were a bazillion people trying to register. We have been on an aggressive warpath since we've been here and refuse to stand in line. Stand in line and your dead. Cut in line and you get things done.
So, we went upstairs when they told us to go downstairs and got right through to get C.J.'s student idea and clicker and mail box number. We went to the refund check desk but of course there are no refunds today. Maybe tomorrow. Out that building and into the library where I got myself an ID too! Just like 1997 again! I used my 30th birthday picture where I'm holding two beers. I e-mailed it from the library computer. Of course, they cut out the beers.
After that we went to get C.J.'s books but they weren't ready. Not until tomorrow. So we decided it was time to pick up our boxes from Amerijet. And what an experience that was. We got a cab ride to their office. We waited in line for a minute or two but again, that is death. So, C.J. elbowed his way to the counter where he got a piece of paper and then we were sent to the warehouse. That bit took about 15 minutes.
In the warehouse they found our boxes and made us open them and the customs guy looked through them and then filled out some paperwork and wrote down an arbitrary number for what we owed. This should have taken 10 minutes but took about 45 minutes. It was excruciating. The guys in the warehouse and the customs officer acted like they were walking in quicksand. I...mean....so....slow....Then we had to take the customs official's paper back to the office and pay the cashier. Another 45 minutes waiting in line (no way around it now).
Then, we had to go BACK to the warehouse and get our boxes. Insanity! At this point C.J. has asked that I mention that the customs guy clearly wanted to slit our throats. He did not fit the mold for my typical Grenadian. Not nice at all. When he instructed us to go back to the office and pay C.J. asked if we can take our boxes. He said, no growled, "I said clearly the first time, go to the counter and pay. I didn't say anything about your boxes." He was really big too. So we just did what he said and didn't argue.
Needless to say, we will not be shipping anything else to Grenada via Amerijet. However, it was nice to get home and unpack all our domestic wares which include plates, cups, pot, pan, extra toiletries, books, rugs, office supplies, etc. We unpacked it all and it's actually feeling cozy around here. We put the bed in the corner and moved the table by the window to better appreciate the view.
We went back to the hardware store and got a transformer. We stopped at the grocery store and got more food. We tried a six pack of the local beer - Carib. Not Bud Light but not bad. We got the ipod player so we're listening to our own music. The lights on campus and along the hill across the way are glistening. So it's really a better view than the neighbor house across the street on Merrie Lynn. And we have two desks - one for C.J. and one for me. Which allows him to have his little mess and me to keep mine clean. I really like that.
Through the last two days I've been glad we are together. Lots of students are walking around campus alone having to figure things out by themselves. I felt sorry for the young female students waiting in line at Amerijet. I'd be intimidated going there alone. Of course I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for C.J., but it's nice be in it together. It is not lonely hanging out in our room tonight, it is comforting.
Tomorrow I'll break out the camera and take some pictures. We're going on a tour of the capital, St. George, at 9 a.m. Later in the day we're going on a tour of the mountains and a nutmeg factory. Friday there's a party. Saturday a booze cruise and barbecue. We'll be busy through the weekend and then Monday, school starts. And that will be a whole new world. C.J. no doubt will be studying all the time and my real life here will begin. I'm curious to see how it goes once the semester starts.
2 comments:
I'm glad you guys made it safely! The place sounds just as I imagined it to be. I did some researching on it back when Karen almost went there. I can't wait to come visit. Thank you for the blog. Love you guys. Jason
Wow! Sounds like quite the adventure! I can't wait to read more (yes, I read the WHOLE thing) and see some pictures :)
Take care, Amanda
Post a Comment