Tuesday, November 25, 2008

20 weeks

Today marks the beginning of my 20th week of pregnancy, which is the official halfway point. This week the baby is the size of a small cantaloupe, weighs about 10 ounces and is about 6 inches long.

For the baby still being so little, I'm sure starting to look big. Here are some pictures of what 20 weeks of pregnancy is doing to mommy. If this is only halfway, I'm a little nervous.





It's no secret now that I am pregnant. I've gained 12 pounds since leaving the states. This is the most I've ever weighed in my life. I'm officially wearing the maternity pants with the big elastic waist band. I admit, it hurt my pride a bit to switch over but wow are they comfortable. It makes eating a lot easier.

Speaking of eating. If you thought I ate a lot before, you should see me now. I am hungry all the time. And I mean, all..the..time. In the first trimester I was repulsed by a lot of food. I cooked about five meals in the first two months we were here. All I wanted to eat was cereal, popcorn, peanut butter, french fries and frozen fruit bars.

Times have changed. Everything sounds good to me now. I've been cooking up a storm - things I've never cooked before. I look at myrecipes.com like it is Internet porn. Seriously, I have spent hours looking on that site.

I've got all these recipes saved in my favorites. Half of the recipes require an oven which I don't even have. Just last night, right after dinner, I was looking up recipes. C.J. looked over and asked accusingly "are you looking at food on the Internet?" I can't help it, I'm addicted!

The question I get asked the most is "how are you feeling?" I honestly feel pretty good except for some annoying little things like heartburn and minor back ache. I wouldn't say I have that pregnancy glow. If anything I always have a glow of sweat from living in the tropics. And I have a bunch of zits on my face which is really annoying. And of course I just feel fat most of the time.

But otherwise I have lots of energy and feel good mentally. My no-stress schedule affords me plenty of time for rest and relaxation. The actual birthing part still seems far away, so I'm not getting too worked up about the "watermelon through a tiny hole" thing just yet.

For now I'm going to stay focused on eating. Growing baby needs lots of nutrients. I didn't even make it through this blog without a snack. I just had a granola bar.

7 comments:

rambler said...

mmmmm, this makes me miss you.

kimberliyancey said...

you look soooo cute!

Karen Ford said...

Well, that's the good thing about no fast food on this island. At least all the food you're eating/making can't be that bad for you.

And 12 lbs is doing pretty well for the half way point. When I was preggers I was pretty choked when I found out all the scales at the gym were off, and got a pretty bad shock when I was finally weighed at the doctor's office, lol!

The one thing that was annoying was the lack of cute maternity clothes here. I went through my pregnancy in gym shorts and t-shirts.

And I agree, that the tummy panel in mat clothes sure is comfy! I was sad when I had to stop wearing my mat jeans. Enjoy them!

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful!

I hear you with the zits. I was in Brazil last week and had bad hair and zits...humidity! At least you have gorgeous curly hair.

Jenn said...

Julie! You look fabulous! I have to say I'm glad you are there eating all that food and not here because I know I'd be sympathy eating with you. :)

Can't wait to hear about your adventures in your new sweet ride and about your British cookies. We had a few on our AMD trip and they were yummy!

Love and miss you bunches,

JT

Jennifer said...

oh my gosh Julie you are SO cute! I'd say you do have the pregnancy glow :) we miss you! Jennifer W

sgweininger said...

This blog is why I love you!