Today I saw something I've never seen before that really amazed me - a hummingbird's nest.
I've never thought about how a hummingbird has to make a nest just like other birds. Hummingbirds seem more like mystical fairy creatures than an actual animal.
As you might expect, their nests are tiny and so are their eggs. The nest looked no bigger than the size of a capuchino cup and the egg was maybe twice the size of a tic tac. It didn't even seem real, it was so tiny.
This hummingbird had built her nest at the entrance of a place called Bay Gardens, which is a little nature preserve in the interior of Grenada. Ten EC will get you a nice tour with a knowledgeable guide who will point out native plants and flowers. Rachel and I decided to check it out - what else are we doing on a Tuesday in the Caribbean?
Anyway, we enjoyed the tour (well, I don't think Liam found it that interesting) where we got some education on the papyrus plant, palm trees, shrimp plants, heliconia, ginger, caladiums, lemon grass and all spice trees among many other things.
But the highlight of the day was seeing this little nest built right at the entrance, in the open where there is the most foot traffic and not far from the road. What a bold little mommy.
Our guide told us she sits on this nest most of the time, and he will walk right by and she won't stir. As we were admiring her construction skills she did come by and land in the nest for a few seconds.
It was the sweetest site - this little bird in her little nest - too bad she was off again before we could get a decent picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment