Monday, May 3, 2010

The end of the beginning

We are leaving here in just over two weeks, on May 20. It seems as soon as we got here, unpacked and set up a life, it is over. It is hard to believe how little time we have left.

C.J. is busy studying for his last exams which are next week. I am now in the process of getting rid of all those things I impulsively bought on the post our first term. The Cranium game, the fans, the muffin tins, the desk, the egg-crate mattress cover, the printer, our car - everything must go.

We are leaving with the four suitcases we have and the two empty suitcases that C.J.'s dad and step mom will bring when they arrive for a visit on May 14. So we are actually leaving here with less stuff than we brought because I shipped two boxes of household items when we moved here.

The shipping is expensive and a hassle, it is easier to just replace everything when we get back to the states. I'm letting go of the bath mat and my favorite cooking pot and some towels and other miscellaneous items we arrived with.

It is a real challenge to reduce everything you own to six suitcases. Even the biggest suitcase is not that big and 50 pounds adds up quick. I'm a little nervous about what's going to happen when I just try to pack some clothes, electronics and C.J.'s school books. That alone is going to fill up most of our space.

I am sad to be leaving the island. This place has been good to me. Some people have asked if we are glad it is almost over. Although our life in Grenada is almost over, med school is nowhere near done. This is only the end of the beginning.

We still have a huge test in July to get through, relocating again, core clinical rotations, elective rotations which we are responsible for arranging, two more board exams, applying for the match, writing a personal statement and CV, interviewing for the match, hopefully matching and if not scrambling, moving again, residency. If this was Mt. Everest I think we are only making it out of base camp.

So I'm not really glad this part is over, because I love Grenada, but I am glad to be moving up the mountain a little bit. We are making it. We are moving forward. Two years down, five or six more to go. That is encouraging. Sort of.

I'm ready to get to the next part. I am leaving here with incredible memories and friendships (oh, and a baby!) and I couldn't ask for more than that.

And of course, no matter how gorgeous the beaches are, I do look forward to some American conveniences - hot showers, stocked grocery stores, Netflix.

I am really excited about the plans that have come together for our summer. Our good friend Amber's family has a home in Austin that is currently unoccupied. Amber and her parents have offered this house to us for an affordable price.

This is an offer we can't refuse. Our own space with no formal lease agreement that binds us and in a great city that we love. The logistics of getting to Utah are just too tricky so C.J. is planning to study in Austin. While he studies Liam and I will have plenty of activities and friends to keep us busy.

C.J. will take the USMLE on July 13. The school informed us this week that New York clinical rotations begin August 16. So we have about a month to relax, regroup and get to the East coast.

So things are working out. I am looking forward to being back in Texas with our friends and family. The hardest part will be saying goodbye all over again. But I think it is going to be a great summer.

2 comments:

Anna & Greg said...

Good bye is so hard, but I get to say hello to you after a year and a half! I constantly miss Grenada, I don't think that will ever go away- it was such a unique and special time. Nice on getting a place in Austin, how perfect!

Heather Phillips said...

We can't wait to see you! SO glad your adventure is making a quick stop in Austin!